Suite 600 | Bradie Building
630 - 6th Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 0S8
Tel: 403-237-0025 Fax: 403-237-0566
- Counsel at first ever Supreme Court of Canada Electronic Appeal
- Eight appearances as counsel at Supreme Court of Canada
- Executive - Canadian Bar Association National Criminal Justice Section (2009, 2010)
- Co-Chair - Canadian Bar Association (Alberta) Criminal Justice Section (2012-2013)
- Alberta Court of Appeal / U of C Moot Competition Coach (2007 - 2018)
- National Criminal Law Conference - Charlottetown, PEI (2008)
- Court of Appeal Seminar, Electronic Appeals (2004)
- Legal Education Society of Alberta: Advocacy Course Electronic Trial Demonstration
- University of Calgary - Trial Advocacy Guest Instructor
- Associate Editor, Alberta Law Review (2000)
- Counsel to University of Calgary Student Legal Assistance (2007 - 2010)
Michael’s practice is currently split between criminal trial and appellate work and administrative litigation. He has consistently worked to develop skills in the use of technology in the courtroom and is well equipped to handle matters in the emerging areas of electronic appeals, trials and electronic disclosure / discovery.
Michael has valuable trial and appellate experience in both criminal and civil matters and has appeared at all levels of court in Alberta and at the Supreme Court of Canada. Michael has had particular success representing corporate clients that have been charged under the Fair Trading Act.
Michael frequently volunteers his time at the University of Calgary and the Canadian Bar Association as an advisor for legal clinics and trial competitions and formerly held an appointment as a Tribunal Member for the University of Calgary Students' Union.
Michael Bates, BA (Psyc), LLB
Click Here to watch Michael Bates at the Supreme Court of Canada in R. v. Cornell (124:50 and 264:50)
© Ruttan Bates 2005 - 2018. Access to or use of the information contained on this website does not establish any form of solicitor-client relationship with Ruttan Bates or any of its lawyers. The information on this website is general public information and is not legal advice in relation to any specific matter. Individuals should not rely on or take any action based upon the information on this site, but should seek professional legal advice for their specific concerns. While we strive to be accurate it is possible that the information on this site may contain errors or omissions. We expressly disclaim any liability for such errors or omissions.
Michael was featured in the 2010 edition of Avenue Magazine's annual list of the Top 40 under 40. Click Here to see the magazine feature or Click Here to watch Michael's interview video.